Accu Chek Active - N/A
|Generic For||Accu Chek Active|
|Generic Name||For the determination of blood Glucose|
Accu Chek Active
Diabetes Mellitus is an incurable disease condition which has affected the people worldwide. It is mainly categorised into two divisions i.e. type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus. The pharmacotherapy for diabetes mellitus aims to keep control over the blood glucose levels in the body. Along with proper medication, time to time monitoring, diet and exercise plays a vital role in the overall management of the disease. A diabetic patient has to take care of himself in order to avoid any serious complications of the condition.
What is the need of self testing?
Self testing of glucose levels is a vital part of managing diabetes. Self inspection of the sugar levels in the body enables the patient to analyse the effects of medication, diet and exercise on the blood glucose levels. Self testing avoids the symptoms and future associated problems. It also gives a clear scenario of the time to time glycemic fluctuations in the body and helps in maintaining a constant glucose levels. Hypoglycemic or hyperglycemic conditions can be easily diagnosed by self inspection of the blood glucose levels.
Self inspection helps your Doctor to find best suitable treatment for you. This can be achieved by using a blood glucose meter. Accu chek active is one of the most preferred blood glucose meter is used which gives the clear picture of blood glucose levels of the body.
Who should check?
Self testing of the blood is generally recommended by the physician for the following:
- People who are taking insulin
- Pregnant women
- Having extremely low blood glucose levels
When to check?
Regular examination of the blood sugar levels is recommended by the American diabetes Association as a part of self care program. Sugar levels are monitored three or more times a day for a person who are taking insulin. The favourable time for the testing are mentioned below:
- Before and after the physical activity or exercise
- Before each meal
- During bedtime snack
- In some cases, it is also done in the middle of the night
- 1 or 2 hours after a meal
How to check your blood glucose level?
- Wash your hands preferably by Luke warm water before using
- Read the instruction manual given along with it and turn on the meter
- Prepare a lancing device and get a blood sample from the fingertip or forearm
- Touch and hold the edge of the test strip to the blood sample and wait for the reading
- Reading will appear on the screen of glucose meter
What are the desired blood sugar levels?
The target levels of the blood sugar are assessed by the below mentioned factors such as:
- Age factor
- Type and severity of disease
- Overall health status and other disease condition
The desired range of the blood glucose levels are recommended by the American Diabetes Association:
- Before meal or pre prandial plasma glucose should lie between the 70 to 130 milligrams or 4 to 7 millimoles per litre
- Post prandial plasma glucose level should be less than 180 mg/dl
- Average blood glucose level for non diabetic patient is 4 to 6%
- In diabetes patient, A1C level is equal or greater than 7%
- 90 to 130 mg/dl is the safe range for fasting at least eight hours
Accu chek active meter is a convenient, useful and a handy blood glucose meter tool. This helps to maintain desired sugar levels in body. This keeps you updated and decreases the future diabetes associated complications.