Cynomycin - 100mg
|Generic Name||Minocycline HCL|
Cynomycin 100 mg
Cynomycin is a medicine used to treat bacterial infections, including pneumonia and other infections of the respiratory tract, genitals, urinary systems, acne, and skin infections. It is also effective in eliminating the bacteria from your nose and throat that may cause meningitis (a condition defined by swelling of tissues around the brain) in others, even though you may not have an infection. The medicine has the active constituent Minocycline, which belongs to a class of medications tetracycline antibiotics. The medicine prevents the growth and spread of bacteria.
Uses of the drug
- The medicine is indicated for the treatment of various infections caused by unusual organisms, including Chlamydia, Mycoplasma, Rickettsia.
- It is prescribed to prevent exacerbations of chronic bronchitis. The medicine is given to treat gonorrhea and syphilis (a bacterial disorder contracted during sexual intercourse) in penicillin-allergic patients.
- The drug also treats acne and inflammatory lesions of non-nodular acne vulgaris.
Treatment with the active component Minocycline stops the bacterial growth, allows the body’s defense system (immune system) to destroy any remaining bacteria and lead to the improvement of the condition. It gives the skin the opportunity to heal in case of acne vulgaris.
- The recommended dosage for adults is 100 to 200 mg initially, and then the dose may decrease to 100 according to the patient’s condition.
- For children up to 8 years of age, the suggested dose is 4 mg/kg initially and then may decrease to 2 mg/kg every twelve hours.
- For adults and children up to 12 years of age, the dosage depends on the weight of the patient.
If you are taking medicine, make sure you take it around the clock and finish the course as directed, even if you feel better. Consume missed doses as and when you remember unless it is time to take the next dose. Do not take double doses at once. The sharing of this medicine can be dangerous therefore patients are advised not to give this medicine to anyone even if they have the same symptoms.
Patients using Cynomycin (Minocycline) may encounter side effects such as vomiting, nausea, vaginal discharge, vaginal itching, dizziness, teeth, gums, or tongue discoloration.
Contact your healthcare specialist immediately if any of the following persists or troubles you for a long time:
- Joint pain
- Muscle pain
- Loss of appetite
- New signs of infection
- Blurred vision
- Dark coloured urine
Immediately proceed for the emergency department if you experience an allergic reaction. The allergic symptoms usually include skin rashes, hives, chest tightness, difficulty swallowing or trouble breathing. However, the medicine is always suitable for all patients. Always consult a healthcare specialist before using any medicine to prevent any unwanted effect.
- Cynomycin may increase the effect of warfarin.
- It may decrease the effectiveness of oral contraceptives that contain estrogen, therefore, should not be taken with contraceptive pills.
- Drugs such as antacids, magnesium salts, iron or calcium supplements are known to decrease the absorption of Minocycline.
- The use of antidiarrheals is contraindicated.
Consult a healthcare specialist before using this medication during pregnancy. Also, avoid taking it if you are breastfeeding your baby. Discuss with your healthcare specialist before taking any herbal or vitamin supplement along with the medication. The correct dosage always depends on the condition of the patient; therefore, the dose adjustment should take place under the supervision of a healthcare specialist. The medicine should only be used as prescribed as instructed. Do not use if it is not prescribed by a health specialist.