|Generic Name||Candesartan Cilexetil|
|Manufacturer||Astra Zeneca, Turkey|
Atacand 16 mg is a prescription treatment for the following conditions:
- The treatment of mild to moderate hypertension (high blood pressure).
- Atacand may be used as a monotherapy or combined with thiazide diuretics.
- The safety and efficacy of concurrent with calcium channel blocker drugs have not been established.
- Heart failure
- The treatment of heart failure in addition to standard therapy, with or without ACE inhibitors
- No differences have been identified in responses between the elderly and younger patients, but the greater sensitivity of some older individuals cannot be ruled out.
Paediatrics (6 to 17 years of age):
- High blood pressure
- Heart failure
The safety and effectiveness of Candesartan in the treatment of heart failure have not been established in children ad adolescents above 18 years of age.
How to use (Infographics and instructions)
The dosage of Atacand must be individualized. Candesartan should be taken once daily, at approximately the same time each day, before or after consuming food.
Hypertension in Adults
Initiation of therapy requires consideration of recent antihypertensive treatment, the extent of blood pressure elevation, salt restriction and other associated clinical factors. The dosage of other antihypertensive agents used with Candesartan may need to be adjusted. The blood pressure response is dose-related, over 4 to 32 mg. The recommended initial dose is 16 mg, once daily when used as monotherapy. The total daily dose should range from 8 to 32 mg. Doses more than 32 mg do not appear to have a greater effect on BP reduction and may increase the risk of side effects. Most of the Hypertensive effect is present within two weeks, and the maximum blood pressure reduction is generally obtained within four weeks. For patients with renal or hepatic insufficiency, consideration should be given to administering a lower dose. If blood pressure is controlled by Candesartan 16 mg alone, a thiazide diuretic may be added.
In patients receiving diuretics, Atacand therapy should be initiated with caution since these patients may be more likely to experience hypotension following additional antihypertensive treatment.
A lower is recommended for children. Consult a paediatrician for appropriate dosage.
Talk to your doctor about the appropriate dosage for heart failure.
Precautions (Things to remember, allergies, and warnings)
Read the prescription provided by your doctor before you start taking it.
Atacand 16 mg should not be used in the following conditions:
- Patients who are allergic to Candesartan or any ingredients in the formulation
- Children aged less than one year
- Pregnant women
- Breastfeeding women
- Combination with aliskiren containing drugs in patients with Type I and Type II diabetes or moderate to severe renal impairment.
- Patients suffer from a rare hereditary problem of galactose intolerance and glucose-galactose malabsorption.
Side effects may include rash, insomnia, pneumonia, confusion, dry mouth, drowsiness, dizziness, cold symptoms, muscle cramps, headache, fainting spells, and confusion. Side effects in adults and children are similar and more likely to occur in children. If any of these side effects affect you severely, inform your doctor. Candesartan can give rise to abnormal blood test results. Your doctor will instruct you on when to perform a blood test and interpret the results.