Hair loss refers to loss of hair from part of the head. It is a major concern for women, men and children. There are various causes of hair loss and depending on the reasons for hair loss the treatment is also suggested.
Causes of Hair Loss
There are various reasons because of which hair loss can takes place. Some of the reasons for hair loss include:
- Hormonal misbalanced
- Genes from both female and male parents can result in hair loss
- Drugs including blood thinners, chemotherapy drugs used in cancer treatment, birth control pills, beta-adrenergic blockers used to control blood pressure can cause temporary hair loss problems.
- Illness, stress and childbirth
- Injuries, burns and X-rays
- Cosmetic procedures
- Autoimmune disease
- Medical conditions such as lupus, thyroid, anaemia, eating disorder, iron deficiency can cause hair loss
- A severely calorie-restricted diet or a low protein diet can cause temporary hair loss
- Another major reason for hair loss is Alopecia which happens when hair follicles is mistakenly attacked by immunity system which is the place for hair growth.
Apart from the above there may be other reasons also which may result in hair loss.
Signs and Symptoms
Sign and symptoms of hair loss conditions may vary between men, women and children. The signs of hair loss in men may include:
- A receding hairline
- Thinning hair on the scalp
- A horseshoe-shaped pattern that leaves the crown of the head exposed
Signs of hair loss condition in women may include:
- General hair thinning
- Hair thinning at the crown of the head
Signs of hair loss in children and young adults may include:
- Excessive shedding of hair but not complete baldness
- Sudden loss of patches of hair
- Patches of broken hair and loss of hair on the eyebrows or scalp
There are various factors that can cause hair loss, baldness or thinning hair. Apart from the ones that are caused due to your gene such as baldness that runs in your family there are various ways to prevent hair loss that are caused because of poor nutrition, untreated medical condition and so on.
- Aim to drink plenty of fluids: It is suggested to drink at least eight glass of water a day. If the body stays hydrated then chances of hair fall will be less.
- Taking care of hair: Hair should be treated with proper care. It should be oiled regularly and should be washed with shampoo suitable to the hair type to keep the scalp and hair clean. Avoid brushing your hair vigorously and also avoid the use of hair styling products.
- Proper diet: Often hair loss also occurs because of poor diet. In order to prevent hair loss proper diet rich in protein, vitamin and fibres should be taken so as to prevent hair fall. Lots of varieties of fruits and vegetables should be intake.
- Reduce stress: stress in life is another reason for hair fall. One can prevent it by making certain lifestyle changes such as doing exercise, meditations, reducing weight and so on.
Myths and facts:
Myth: As you pluck one grey hair two grows back.
Fact: Pulling out grey hair does not result in making grow more grey hair. However, more grey hair may come due to other reasons such as age.
Myth: Shampooing more often can lead to hair loss.
Fact: Each day about 100-200 hairs shed naturally. However, such hair follicles are replaced by others which are entering the growth phase. Hence over shampooing does not lead to hair loss it is rather a normal process.
Myth: Standing on head increases hair growth.
Fact: Hair loss is not a blood flow problem. It is because of other factors such as genetic, age, some disease and so on. Also no one can stay in standing on head position for long to have effects on the hair follicles.
Myth: There is no cure for baldness
Fact: There are several treatments such as laser therapy, approved hair loss drugs or hair transplants that can help to cure baldness.
Diagnosis of disease
While diagnosing hair loss problems your doctor will ask you various questions such as how much hair you are losing, whether your parents have hair loss problems, when it all started, your diet, your daily routine to understand stress level, daily fluid intake and the likes.
He or she may even examine your scalp and hair loss pattern. Some hair may also be pulled out for some tests. Doctors may even recommend some blood tests and look at the scalp of your hair under microscope to probe further.
Treatment for hair loss:
Hair loss treatment depends on the cause for which the hair loss took place. If the hair loss is caused because of a reason that won’t last long and can be treated than your hair is likely to grow back again. Hair loss that runs in the family can be treated with hair transplant surgery or with medicines.
Some of the basic ways of treating hair loss problems are:
- Proper diet by including good amount of protein, vitamin C, iron, omega 3 fatty acids and so on
- Plenty of fluids
- Good sleep
- Reduce stress
- Oiling hair properly
- Cleaning hair properly by choosing the right shampoo
- Combing hair in tender way and not tying it very tight
- Going for hair spa
- Taking medicines as prescribed by your doctor
- Limit use of hair dryer and hair styling products
- Go for regular trimming of hair
- Alopecia treatment would include administering alopecia drugs such as injections of corticosteroids into the scalp. Some adult and children may be treated with topical corticosteroids which are applied to the affected skin. Minoxidil may also be used with topical corticosteroids. Psoralen with ultraviolet A light (PUVA) therapy is another effective way to treat alopecia. Wearing hairpieces or using certain hair styling techniques such as perming which will make the hair look thicker and can be used if you are not willing to take the above treatments as, hair usually grows back naturally after sometime. Alopecia drugs side effect is almost nil if taken under the careful supervision of doctor.
Steps to improve the health
- Eat healthy diet
- Drink plenty of water
- Take good care of hair by washing it at regular intervals and protecting from harsh rays of sun and cold air
- Do physical activity regularly
- Take medicines suggested by doctor
- Reduce stress by going for lifestyle changes
Important things to know
Even after taking adequate measures, following home remedies, going for lifestyle changes and following your doctors instruction if the hair fall issue persist than you must again visit the doctor who may think of going for through investigation to understand the root cause and suggest treatment accordingly.