Skin disorders vary greatly in severity and symptoms. They can be permanent in nature or temporary. Some of the skin disorders can be painful too. While some of the skin disorders result from situational causes, there are others which may be genetic. It is best to get skin disorders treated as early as possible as some of them have been known to be life threatening. Some of the common skin disorders include:
- Seborrheic dermatitis
- Skin cancer
Causes of skin disorder
Some of the common known causes of skin disorders include:
- Bacteria trapped in hair follicles and skin pores
- Fungus, microorganisms, parasites living on the skin
- Another person’s infected skin
- A weakened immune system
- Contact with irritants, allergens, or
- Genetic factors
- Illnesses affecting the immune system, thyroid, kidneys, and other body systems
- Exposure to sun
- During pregnancy due to changes in hormonal levels
Apart from the above there are various other lifestyle and health factors that can also lead to certain skin disorders. Some skin conditions come with no causes too.
Signs and Symptoms of skin disorder
Skin disorders can have lot of symptoms. The symptom that appear on your skin due to common problems such as chafing from tight pants, blisters from new shoes are not always the result of a skin disorder. However, skin disorders for which there are no obvious cause indicate that there may be an actual skin condition that requires treatment.
Some of the symptoms of skin disease include:
- Raised bumps that are red or white
- Scaly or rough skin
- A rash, which might be itchy or painful
- Open sores or lesions
- Peeling skin
- Changes in mole colour or size
- Dry, cracked skin
- Discoloured patches of skin
- Fleshy bumps, warts, or other skin growths
- Excessive flushing
- A loss of skin pigment
There are skin disorders that are preventable. However, there are many that are not preventable as they are either genetic or that may be the result of some other illness.
For all those skin problems that can be prevented here are the few tips that can be followed:
- Wash your hands with warm water and soap frequently so as to avoid dirt and infection.
- Avoid direct contact with the skin of people who have an infection. Even if you do wash the area immediately.
- Avoid sharing eating utensils and drinking glasses and other personal belongings including makeup materials with other people.
- Don’t share personal items, such as blankets, swimsuits, hairbrushes. In case of emergency if you are planning to use them wash the items with disinfectants.
- Clean things in public spaces, such as gym equipment, before using them.
- Sleep for at least eight hours each night.
- Avoid excessive physical or emotional stress.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eat a nutritious diet. Include lots of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet. Avoid fatty and spicy food.
- Exercise regularly.
- Cover your skin when going out in sun as the harsh rays of sun can harm your skin. Also cover it while passing through an area filled with dust.
- Use cosmetic products that are of good quality. Also check the manufacturing dates and the ingredients that are being used to manufacture the cream. Often creams such as fairness creams and anti aging skin care cream contain chemicals that are not good for the skin.
- Get vaccinated for infectious skin conditions, such as chickenpox.
- Use best face cream to moisturize the skin in case of dry weather.
- Avoid dietary and environmental allergens.
- Avoid contact with harsh chemicals or with other irritants.
Myths and facts:
Myth: Face washing often to have Squeaky clean skin is good
Fact: Face washing more than twice a day can cause damage to the skin. The cleanser can strip the skin of its natural oils and can lead to irritation and dehydration
Myth: Junk food is one of the main reasons for acne
Fact: There are no studies which have shown a direct relation between junk food and acne.
Myth: It is good to use all the skin care products from the same line
Fact: This is a clever marketing trick that is done so as to increase the sale of particular line of products. In real products from any line can be used provide it suits your skin type
Myth: The higher the SPF the more you can stay in sun
Fact: SPF is not an indication of how long you can say out in the sun, SFP just indicates how well it will protect you from the harmful sun rays. Also, sunscreen will only be effective if it is reapplied after every two hours.
Diagnosis of disease
There are some kind disorders which can be identified by doctor just by looking at them. Revealing characteristics include shape, size, colour and location of abnormality as well as the absence or presence of signs or symptoms. In case the skin disorders can’t be identified by doctor just by seeing the signs and symptoms he or she may ask the patient to conduct some tests such as:
- Biopsy: In this test a small piece of skin is removed by numbering a small area of the skin and then examination is done under a microscope.
- Scrapings: In case of scrabies or fungal infection doctor may do skin scraping.
- Tzanck testing/; this test is done to diagnose certain disease hat is caused by viruses such as herpes zoster and herpes simplex.
- Diascopy: This test is done so as to observe the colour changes that occur when some pressure is applied to the skin.
- Skin tests: Doctor may perform various skin tests including "use" test, a prick test, patch test and an intradermal test if he or she suspects an allergic reaction is the cause of such rash on the skin.
Apart from the above there may be other tests which may be recommended by the doctor depending on the type of skin disease you are suffering from.
Treatment for Skin disorder
There are many skin disorders which are easily treatable. Some of the common treatment methods theta re used in treatment of skin disorders are:
- Medicated creams and ointments
- Vitamin or steroid injections
- Laser therapy
- Targeted prescription medications
Skin disorders that are temporary and cosmetic can be dealt with by:
- Medicated makeup
- Good hygiene practices
- Over-the-counter skin care products
- Small lifestyle adjustments, such as making certain dietary changes
Learning about proper skin care regime and treatment for various skin disorders is very important for skin health. While some condition requires that you visit your doctor immediately there are others which can be addressed at home itself. You should learn about your condition or symptoms and talk with your doctor so as to determine what is the best treatment available.
Steps to improve the health of your skin
Some of the steps which can be followed to ensure good health of your skin are:
- Prevent sun damage
- Wash your face in the morning and in the evening with clean water and mild face wash
- Live a healthy lifestyle
- Drink plenty of water
- Eat plenty of vitamin C enriched foods
- Make sure you do lot of exercise in the week
- Get enough sleep
- Reconsider your makeup routine
- Remove makeup before you go to bed
- Sanitize your tools
Important things to know
Consult your physician if the skin disorders refuse to go away even after maintaining a healthy life style and following the entire skin care regime.