HCG refers to Human chorionic gonadotropin which is a hormone that supports the development of an egg in a women’s ovary and during ovulation stimulates the release of the egg. HCG is mainly used to treat infertility in women, cause ovulation and also increase the sperm count in men. In young boys when the testicles have not dropped down into the scrotum normally, HCG is used. The situation may arise because of pituitary gland disorder.
HCG is present naturally during pregnancy and can be detected after a urine test is done 11 days past conception. In a healthy pregnancy HCG levels will increase during the first trimester and remain consistent during the second and the third trimester.
Although HCG is a prescription drug, sometimes the pills and the liquids are purchased as a weight-loss supplement. HCG is a hormone that is produced during pregnancy so as to help the baby grow. It has been used for various purposes in the medical community for many years. Recently, many people have started using HCG shot, drops or pills to suppress appetite and thereby cause weight loss.
Side effects of HCG
In addition to the needed effects some unwanted effects may also take place because of HCG. If any of such side effects happen you must get in touch with your doctor. Some of the common HCG side effects include:
- Swelling in the hands, feet, ankles or lowers legs,
- Appearance of female breasts in men
- Pain in the area where you received the injection
Some of the serious side effects include:
- Entering puberty sooner than normal
- Blood clots
- Painful rupture or swelling of the ovaries
- Allergic reactions, including life-threatening ones
- Multiple pregnancies
What causes raised HCG levels?
HCG is a pregnancy hormone which stays at normal level if you are not pregnant. However, there are some other conditions apart from pregnancy that can cause increase in HCG levels. The factors are:
- Multiple fetus: Though not a reliable indicator, a high HCG during pregnancy may often indicate multiple fetus.
- Hydatidi form Mole: is a condition that happens when even though the egg is fertilized and attaches to your uterus, the pregnancy is not viable. Instead of the foetus growing inside what grows is tissues in bunch of grapes form.
- Choriocarcinoma: It is a cancer that may happen in your uterus because of various reasons such as an abortion, a tumour, ectopic pregnancy and so on.
- Medication: HCG medications that are used in fertility treatment may also raise the HCG levels temporarily.
What causes HCG levels to be low?
Sometimes the HCG levels may be low than the normal level because of several reasons such as:
- Blighted Ovum: This condition happens when an egg after fertilizing attaches to uterine wall but do not develop.
- Ectopic Pregnancy: This condition happens when the fertilized egg settles inside the fallopian tube.
- Miscarriage: Miscarriage refers to loss of pregnancy before 20 weeks gestation due to various reasons.
- Miscalculated Gestational Age: This happens when the periods are irregular and it is hard to tell if the pregnancy is past 12 weeks or it is in its early stage.
How HCG levels can be increased?
There are synthetic supplements available over the counter and by prescription. Those who are undergoing fertility treatment may be prescribed with HCG drugs. However, it is not supplemented during pregnancy. You can buy HCG online from premiumrxdrugs.com at very low price and with genuine quality .
Precaution to take when using HCG
- Before buying and using HCG you must consult with a doctor, conduct specific tests as directed by him.
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any medicines beforehand
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease such as heart disease, thyroid, cancer, kidney disease, asthma, migraine and so on.
- It is very important to get check up done at regular intervals.
- Inform your doctor if you develop any side effects.
Doctors may ask you to go for HCG blood test to identify the hormone human chorionic gonadotropin in your blood. You may also be asked to do HCG urine test or Quantitative pregnancy test too.
Important things to know
- HCG injections which is given under the skin into the muscle. In case taking such injections at home, than you need to follow the instructions given by your physician. Do not self inject HCG if you do not know the method properly.
- If you experience any of the symptoms such as pain, redness, warmth, numbness to tingling in leg or arm, dizziness, confusion or severe headache you must get in touch with your doctor immediately.
- When HCG is used it may increase the chance of multiple pregnancies. Since multiple pregnancies are a high risk affair, consult your doctor about the special care that you need to take.
- The medicine belongs to FDA pregnancy category X. Hence it should be avoided during pregnancy as it may result in deformity in the baby.
- Women using the medicine may develop ovarian hyper stimulation syndrome which can prove to be life threading. In case you develop any symptoms such as swelling in hands or legs, severe pelvic pain, weight gain, shortness of breath, nausea or vomiting, diarrhoea, urinating less then you should see your doctor at once.
- You should inform your doctor if you are suffering from the below conditions before taking HCG:
- Are allergic to it
- Have early puberty
- Have heart disease;
- Have migraines;
- Have kidney disease;
- Have epilepsy;
- Have asthma
- Have premature puberty
- Have a thyroid or adrenal gland disorder
- Have an ovarian cyst