Bactrim DS 800-160 mg
Bactrim DS Tablet
|Generic For||Septra DS|
|Generic Name||Sulphamethoxazole + Trimethoprim|
|Manufacturer||Piramal Enterprises Ltd.|
Bactrim DS Tablet
Bactrim DS is a combination drug that contains two active ingredients namely Sulphamethoxazole and Trimethoprim. The medication is specially formulated for treating certain infections caused by the bacteria. Sulphamethoxazole belongs to a category of drugs known as sulfa drugs. The combination medication is an antibiotic medication, which is useful in treating a variety of infections including urinary tract infections.
What is Bactrim DS used for?
Bactrim DS is indicated for the treatment of following health conditions:
- Otitis media
- Urinary tract infections
- Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia (PCP)
- Traveler’s diarrhea
It is also useful in preventing PCP in HIV-positive patients.
How does Bactrim DS work?
The combination drug exerts bactericidal against susceptible bacteria and works by inhibiting the metabolism of folic acid in bacteria at two different points.
Where to buy Bactrim DS online?
Click on to premiumrxdrugs.com to order Bactrim DS -800/160 mg strength online. Buy your pharmaceutical product online at lowest price. The medicine is available in different pack sizes.
What does Bactrim DS contain?
Bactrim DS comprise of Sulphamethoxazole and Trimethoprim, which works straight away; reduces symptoms of bacterial infections. However, the medicine is not used for treating viral infections like cold and flu.
What are the side effects of Bactrim DS?
- Genitouterine disorders- crystalluria
- Gastrointestinal issues- nausea, stomatitis, hepatic necrosis, hepatitis, cholestatic jaundice, pseudomembranous colitis, vomiting, diarrhea
- Hematological issues- Aplastic anemia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, megaloblastic anemia, haemolytic anemia, agranulocytosis
- F and E disorders- hyponatremia, hyperkalemia
- Central nervous system disorders- hallucinations, insomnia, kernicterus in neonates, headache, fatigue, mental depression
- Dermatological issues- toxic epidermal necrolysis, photosensitivity, stevens-johnson syndrome, erythema multiforme
- Endoskeletal disorders- hypoglycemia
- Cardiovascular system disorders- hypotension
- Miscellaneous issues- fever
What medications interact with Bactrim DS?
Please inform your health care specialist about the following medications:
- Thiazide diuretics
- ACE inhibitors
- Tricyclic antidepressants
How should Bactrim DS be used
The combination drug is supplied in the form of tablets for oral administration. Depending on the condition of the patient, the health care specialist will determine the dose. Avoid exceeding the suggested dose.
A patient is not supposed to give the medicine to anyone else who is suffering from the same symptoms. If the condition does not improve till the prescribed period, please contact your healthcare specialist.
When should Bactrim DS not be used?
- Bactrim DS should not be used in patients who are allergic to any of the ingredients of the medication.
- It is not suitable for patients with a background of drug-induced immune thrombocytopenia due to Trimethoprim or Sulphonamide.
- The use of the medicine is contraindicated in patients with renal and hepatic insufficiency.
- It should not be used during pregnancy.
- Lactating mothers are advised not to take the medicine.
- The medicine should not be given to children less than two years of age.
Exercise caution while using this medication in the following conditions:
- Mild to moderate renal and hepatic impairment
- Glucose-6 dehydrogenase deficiency.
- HIV positive patients
How long should Bactrim DS be used?
Treatment with Bactrim DS may be continued indefinitely as long as it is effective and as long as no unwanted effects develop. Your health care specialist will tell you how long you need to take this medicine. Follow his/her instructions if you want to get the most out of it.
Missed dose of Bactrim DS
If you missed a dose of Bactrim DS, take it as soon you remember and go back to your regular dosing regimen. If the time to take the next dose is close enough, leave the missed dose and take the next dose on time. Avoid compensating by taking two doses at the same time.
How should Bactrim DS be stored?
Keep the tablets in its original packet to protect from light. Store it at controlled room temperature. Place it at a place where children cannot reach.