Etifem - 200 mg
|Description||Etifem 200 mg (Etidronate Sodium)|
|Generic Name||Etidronate Sodium|
Etifem 200 mg (Etidronate Sodium)
Etifem is a medicine used to strengthen bone and treat osteoporosis. It comprises of an active component Etidronate Sodium, which is a bisphosphonate with general properties similar to those of other bisphosphonates. The drug hinders the growth and dissolution of hydroxyapatite cells in bone and directly disabled the osteoclast activity. It hinders abnormal bone resorption and, therefore decrease bone turnover. The medicine is used as a hypoglycemic agent to treat severe hyperglycemia, especially when related to malignancy. It is also prescribed for a bone disorder called Paget’s disease in which immoderate bone resorption is a problem. Additionally, this therapeutic drug may be used for the prevention and treatment of ectopic ossification (a process of mature lamellar bone formation in non-osseous tissues).
Etifem general information
What is Etifem used for?
- Etifem is recommended for the treatment of osteoporosis in both male and female. This incorporates the prophylaxis and treatment of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women and prophylaxis and treatment of costicosteroid induced osteoporosis.
- The medicine is prescribed by the physicians to treat Paget’s disease of bone when other treatment is not appropriate.
- It is also known as bone resorption inhibitor and is also recommended for the prevention and treatment of hetrotropic ossification due to injury of the spinal cord or following total hip replacement.
How does Etifem work?
Etifem contains the active component Etidronate Sodium, which can inhibit the growth, formation and dissolution of hydroxyapatite crystals. Hindrance of crystal resorption occurs at lower doses that are needed to inhibit crystal growth. Both effects increase as the dose increases.
Where to buy Etifem online?
You can buy Etifem 200 mg online from our website premiumrxdrugs.com. The medicine is available in the form of tablet in 200 mg strength to our clients. To buy this product online you may need a prescription from a physician. To buy this medicine at a low price with a fast delivery options consider our website.
What does Etifem contain?
Etifem tablets contain 400 mg of the active ingredient Etidronate sodium for oral administration.
What are the side effects of Etifem?
Etifem produces marked impairment of bone mineralization at high doses of Etifem. The bone pain can increase in patients with Paget’s disease. Bone mineralization impairment can lead to osteomalacia, and fractures have been observed. If a fracture occurs, the use of this medicine should be stopped until healing is complete. Hyperphosphatemia may develop, usually at high therapeutic doses, but the problem generally resolves 14 to 28 days after the end of the treatment. There have been reports of confusion, peripheral neuropathy, and paresthesia. Exacerbation of asthma, burning of the tongue, erythema multiforme, and alopecia has been rarely reported.
The medicine is excreted by the kidney; therefore caution should be exercised in patients with renal impairment.
What medications interact with Etifem?
- Etifem is known to interact with calcium and other trivalent or divalent cations. Therefore, avoid using medicines that contain calcium in its preparation.
- Concomitant use of bone acting drug with Etifem should not normally be taken into consideration.
- No data have been generated studying the possible interactions between Etidronte Sodium and calcitrol. Therefore, it is suggested that their concomitant use should be avoided.
When should Etifem not be used?
- Etifem should not be used in patients with known hypersensitivity to either of the tablet’s main component or other ingredient of the medicine.
- It is also not recommended for use in patients suspected of having clinically overt osteomalacia, which should be treated before before considering Etifem treatment.
- The medicine is not meant for use in children due to insufficient data on efficacy and safety.
How should Etifem be taken?
Etifem should be taken as single, oral dose. It is recommended that the medicine should be swallowed with sufficient amount of water. You are not supposed to lie down after taking the medication. To avoid gastrointestinal discomfort, the dose may be divided. To maximize the absorption, you should avoid taking the following things:
- Food which is high in calcium, such as milk or milk products
- Antacids, which are high in metals such as iron, aluminium, calcium, or magnesium
- Vitamins with mineral supplements
How long should you take Etifem?
Etifem 200 mg should be taken continuously for as long as your physician recommends.
Missed dose of Etifem
Take the missed dose as quickly as you notice. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time to take the next scheduled dose. Do not double your dose to make up for the missed one.
How should Etifem be stored?
Store the medicine at controlled temperature in its original packet. Keep it away from the reach and sight of children. It should be kept away from direct heat and sunlight.