Emeset 8 mg (Zofran Alternative)
Emeset 8 mg contains Ondansetron zofran alternative, which belongs to a group of drugs called antiemetics, which help to stop you feeling or being sick. Ondansetron is a carbazole derivative with antiemetic activity. The medicine acts as a dopamine antagonist and facilitates your digestion by sending your food to its correct destination. It cures indigestion related problems such as vomiting, nausea, a bloated stomach, belching, and compresses wind after eating.
What is Emeset 8 mg used for?
Emeset is used to control vomiting and nausea caused by some medical treatments such as radiotherapy and chemotherapy for cancer in adults and children. It is also used for the prevention of post-operative nausea and vomiting.
How does Emeset 8 mg work?
Ondansetron works by competitively blocking the activity of serotonin at 5HT3 receptors peripherally in the gastrointestinal tract as well as in the area postrema of the central nervous system, where the chemoreceptor trigger zone for vomiting is situated, leads to the suppression of radiotherapy and chemotherapy-induced vomiting and nausea.
What does Emeset 4 mg contain?
Each film-coated tablet contains 8 mg of Ondansetron hydrochloride dihydrate. Ondansetron is a competitive serotonin 5-hydroxytryptamine type 3 receptor antagonist. It is highly potent and selective in nature.
What are the adverse effects of Emeset 8 mg?
If you are concerned about any side effects, please talk to your doctor. If any of the given side effects gets serious, or if you observe any adverse effects not listed in this document, please inform your doctor or pharmacist.
The common ones are as follows:
- Sensation of warmth and flushing
- Local burning sensation
- Skin rash
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of the face, mouth, eyelids, lips, throat, or tongue
Some uncommon, but serious side effects include:
- Chest pain
- Low blood pressure
- Uncontrollable movement of the body
- An increase in the liver function test results
What medications interact with Emeset 8 mg?
Emeset may have an effect on working of other drugs, and other drugs may have an effect on the mode of action of Emeset.
Please tell your doctor, if you are taking or have recently taken any other drugs, including drugs obtained without a prescription.
The following medicines should be avoided, in case doctor prescribes you Emeset to avoid possible drug interactions.
- Arsenic trioxide
When should Emeset 8 mg not be used?
- It should not be used in patients with hypersensitivity to any component of the preparation.
- It should not be administered with apomorphine hydrochloride. Concomitant use of Emeset with apomorphine is contraindicated.
How long Emeset 8 mg be taken?
- Emeset comes in the form of an orally disintegrating tablet. You may take this tablet with or without food.
- Place the tablet on your tongue and let it dissolve completely. Swallow several times after the tablet dissolves.
- Treatment of sickness in patients receiving radiotherapy and chemotherapy: For adults, the usual recommended dose is 8 mg Emeset, taken 1 to 2 hours before radiation treatment or chemotherapy, followed by 8 mg every 12 hours for a maximum period of five days.
- For infants and children (aged six months and over) and children under 18 years of age: The doctor will decide what dose of Emeset should be given. Theis will depend on the weight and size of the child.
- If you have taken an extra tablet, call your doctor or hospital casualty department immediately. Signs of an accidental overdose include: vision problem, dizziness, faintness, irregular heartbeat, and low blood pressure, etc.
- Do not stop taking the medicine, even if you are feeling well, without asking your doctor.
- The dose regimen may differ from the information contained in this document. In the case of any confusion, please talk to your doctor.
How long should you take Emeset 8 mg?
Continue taking it for as long as your doctor recommends. Take your medicine at the same time each day as this will help you to remember to take it regularly. If you have trouble remembering your doses, ask your doctor for some tips.
Missed dose of Emeset 8 mg
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Leave the missed dose, if it is almost time for your next dose. Do not take an extra dose to make up the missed one.
How should Emeset 8 mg be stored?
- Keep it out of the reach of children and away from pets. Avoid exposure to light, moisture, and heat.
- Do not place it in the bathroom or near a sink.