Pilomax 5 mg
Pilomax 5 mg contains the active ingredient Pilocarpine hydrochloride, which belongs to a class of medications known as cholinergic agents. Pilocarpine cause stimulation of certain nerves and glands in your body. After you take the Pilomax tablet, your body produces more saliva, sweat, tears, mucus, and gastric juices.
Pilocarpine is used if you have been given radiotherapy for head and neck cancer and your mouth feels dry. It can also be used if you have been diagnosed with Sjogren’s syndrome and your mouth is dry. Ask your doctor if you have any doubts about how PIlomax works or why this medicine has been prescribed.
How to use
- For patients treated with radiotherapy for head and neck cancer - the recommended dose for adults is one 5 mg tablet thrice daily. It is often advised to take the tablet with the evening meal.
- For patients diagnosed with Sjogren’s syndrome - The suggested dose for adults is one 5 mg tablet four times daily. Remember to take the last tablet of the day just before bed. Depending on how you respond to Pilomax treatment, your doctor may recommend a higher or lower dose. You may be asked to take up to six tablets a day.
- If you have been suffering from liver disease or cirrhosis, your doctor will start your treatment at a lower daily dose. Depending on your response to treatment, your doctor may gradually increase your dose.
- As the medicine is available as a tablet, it is taken orally with a glass of water during or after meals. Take your tablet in evenly spread periods of the day, like the first tablet in the morning, one in the afternoon, and one in the evening.
- Your doctor will tell you exactly how long you need to take Pilomax. If no improvement is seen after 2 to 3 months, your doctor may advise you to discontinue treatment.
Do not take Pilomax if you are allergic to pilocarpine hydrochloride or other medicine ingredients. If you have uncontrolled asthma, heart or kidney disease, or chronic disease. Also, before taking this medicine, tell your doctor if you have lung problems, serious heart problems, intestinal problems, kidney problems, cognitive problems, gallbladder or bile duct problems, or eye problems. If you experience excessive sweating during the treatment, drink more liquids. If you don’t drink enough fluids, contact your doctor, as if it continues, you may develop dehydration and organ damage.
Pilocarpine 5 mg may cause common side effects such as flu-like symptoms, headache, need to pass urine more frequently, chills, weakness, runny nose, watering of the mouth, diarrhoea, constipation, indigestion, watering of the mouth, palpitations, flushing, increased blood pressure, dizziness, abnormal or blurred vision, swollen eyes, etc. If you experience any side effect, speak to your doctor.