Ciplar LA 40mg
Ciplar LA-40 mg (Propranolol)
Ciplar LA-40 mg tablets contain Propranolol, which is a synthetic nonselective beta-blocking agent with antihypertensive, antiarrhythmic, and antianginal properties. Ciplar LA is a blood brain barrier penetrant.
What is Ciplar LA-40 mg used for?
Ciplar LA is indicated for:
- High blood pressure (hypertension) - To treat hypertension, the medicine is used alone or in combination with other hypertensive drugs, particularly a thiazide diuretic.
- Atrial Fibrillation- An abnormal heart rhythm characterized by fast or irregular beating.
- Angina pectoris (severe chest pain).
- Myocardial Infarction (a heart attack).
- Essential tremor- A nerve disorder marked by uncontrollable shaking, or tremors in different parts of the body.
- A Migraine- A recurrent throbbing headache that affects one side of the head and is often accompanied by a disturbed vision and nausea.
- Pheochromocytoma (a rare tumor of adrenal gland tissue).
- Hypertrophic Subaortic Stenosis- A condition in which the left ventricle is hypertrophied and the cavity is small; it is characterized by obstruction to left ventricular flow in the heart.
Your doctor may, however, prescribe Ciplar LA or another reason. Ask your doctor if you have any questions about why Ciplar LA has been prescribed to you.
How does Ciplar LA-40 mg work?
Ciplar LA-40 mg contains Propranolol, a potent β adrenoreceptor antagonist competitively antagonizes beta-adrenergic receptors, thereby inhibiting beta-adrenergic reactions, such as negative chronotropic, vasodilation and inotropic effects.
What does Ciplar LA-40 mg contain?
Each Ciplar LA tablets contains the active ingredient, propranolol hydrochloride that was discovered in 1964. Propranolol is on the WHO list of essential medicines; the most important medicines required in a basic health system.
What are the adverse effects of Ciplar LA-40 mg?
Tell your doctor, if you do not feel well while consuming Ciplar LA tablets. All drugs can have undesired side effects. Sometimes they are severe, most of the time they are not. You may require medical help, if you get some of the adverse reactions. Inform your doctor, if you notice any of the following and they worry you.
- Impotence or decreased libido
- Weakness and tired feeling
- Pain in the abdomen
These are the most common adverse effects of Ciplar LA.
Tell your doctor immediately, if you experience:
- General illness
- Pain in arms or shoulders
- Abdominal pain
- Sore throat
- Skin pale
- Shortness of breath
The list of the adverse effects listed above is not complete. If you suffer from any of these or any other unwanted effects, please inform your doctor.
What medications interact with Ciplar LA-40mg?
Please tell your doctor, if you are consuming any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription. Your doctor or pharmacist may wish to alter your dose, if you are consuming any of the following.
These drugs may be affected by Ciplar LA or may affect how well Ciplar LA works. You may need a different amount of medicines, or you may need to consume different medicines. You doctor has more information on drugs to be careful with or avoid while consuming Ciplar LA.
When should Ciplar LA-40 mg not be used?
Ciplar LA 40mg is contraindicated in patients with:
- Bronchial asthma
- With known hypersensitivity to any of the ingredients of Ciplar tablets
- Sinus bradycardia
- Cardiogenic shock
How should Ciplar LA be taken?
- For hypertension: The recommended initial dosage is 40 mg Ciplar LA twice daily, whether used alone or in combination with a diuretic. Dosage may be raised slowly until adequate blood pressure is attained. The maintenance dosage is 120 or 240 mg daily. In some cases, a dosage of 640 mg per day is required. If adequate control is not achieved, 3-times-daily therapy, or a large dose may be given.
- For angina pectoris: The daily doses of 80 mg to 320 mg Ciplar LA, when administered orally, twice daily, thrice daily, or four times a day, have been shown to reduce ischemic changes in ECG and to increase exercise tolerance in patients with angina pectoris.
- Atrial fibrillation: The usual recommended dose is 10 mg to 30 mg Ciplar LA taken as 3 to 4 times in a day. The dose should be taken before meals at bedtime.
- For myocardial infarction: The initial dose is 40 mg daily, titration after one month to 60 mg to 80 mg daily as tolerated. The recommended every day dosage is 180 mg to 240 mg Ciplar LA in divided dose.
- For a migraine: The initial dose is 80 mg Ciplar LA daily in divided doses. The recommended effective dose range is 160 to 240 mg daily. The dosage may be raised slowly to attain optimum migraine prevention. If a satisfactory response is not achieved within four to six weeks after reaching the maximum dose, Ciplar LA treatment should be discontinued. It is advised to withdraw the drug slowly over a period of few weeks.
- For Essential Tremor: The initial dosage is 40 mg Ciplar LA twice daily. Reduction in essential tremor is usually attained with a dose of 120 mg daily. Occasionally, it may be essential to administer 240 mg to 220 mg daily.
- For Hypertrophic Subaortic Stenosis: 20 mg to 40 mg is the preferred dosage, and it is to be taken as three or four times daily before meals at bedtime.
- For Pheochromocytoma: 60 mg is the recommended dose taken in divided doses for three days before surgery as a combination therapy to alpha-adrenergic blockade. For the treatment of inoperable tumors, 30 mg is the usual dosage given daily in divided doses as a combination therapy to alpha-adrenergic blockade.
- Try to take it at the same time each day. Do not crush or chew the tablets. Swallow it whole.
- Ciplar LA will be carefully individualized for use in children. Doses in children are calculated by body weight, and range from 2 mg to 4 mg per 2.2 pounds daily, given in two equal divided doses. The maximum daily dose is 16 mg per 2.2 pound.
- Do not skip doses or stop using Ciplar LA tablets suddenly. Stopping the medicine suddenly may make your condition worse.
- Your blood pressure will need to be regularly checked during the treatment with Ciplar LA.
- You should only take the number of tablets that you have been told. Visit your nearest medical centre immediately, if you think that you have taken too much Ciplar LA tablets by mistake. The symptoms of an overdose include: fatigue dizziness, and weakness, etc.
How long should you take Ciplar LA-40 mg?
Continue taking Ciplar LA for as long as your doctor recommends. Take your medicine at the same time each day as this will help you to remember to take it regularly. If you have trouble remembering your doses, ask your doctor for some tips.
Missed dose of Ciplar LA-40 mg
If you miss the dose take it as soon as you remember, but if it is too late, then skip the missed dose and take the next dose at the correct scheduled time. Do not take two doses at the same time.
How should Ciplar LA-40 mg be stored?
- Keep it out of the reach of children and away from pets. Avoid exposure to light, moisture, and heat.
- Do not place these tablets in the bathroom or near a sink.