Sefdin 300mg (Cefdinir)
|Manufacturer||Aurobindo Pharma Ltd.|
Cefdinir 300 MG
Cefdinir is an oral cephalosporin antibiotic also sold under the brand names Sefdin and Omnicef. The third generation cephalosphorin drug is considered as the major treatment of many important infections because of their high antibacterial potency and wide spectrum of activity. They have been especially utilized for infections resulting from gram negative bacilli that are resistant to beta lactum antibiotics.
It is used for the treatment of a variety of disorders such as throat infections, urinary tract infections and lung infections caused by bacteria. This is not recommended in case if you have common cold, flu, or other viral infections since it only works against the infections caused by certain bacterial species only. It is not used for patients less than six months of age. The active ingredient in the medicine is Cephalosphorin, which supplies in the form of capsule for oral administration.
This antibacterial drug is used to treat various disorders, and some of them are as follows:
- Urinary tract infections- the drug is used in the treatment of infections caused by E. coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Enterococci, and Klebsiella pneumonia.
- Tonsillitis/pharyngitis- the drug treats the infections of the throat and airways leading to the lungs, namely tonsillitis and pharyngitis, caused by Streptococcus pneumonia, Haemophilus influenza, and some fungal infections.
- Bronchitis- bronchitis is the inflammation of the lining of the bronchial tubes, caused by Streptococcus pneumonia, Haemophilus influenza, and some Mycoplasma pneumonia. This drug is very effective in treating all infections caused by these pathogens.
- Gonococcal infection- the drug is used for treating a gonococcal infection caused by Neisseria gonorrhoea.
Mechanism of action
The mechanism of action is the same as other antibiotics such as penicillins. Cefdinir disrupts the synthesis of the peptidoglycan layer that forms the bacterial cell wall. The layer is crucial for cell wall structural integrity. The final transpeptidation step in the synthesis of the peptidoglycan is facilitated by penicillin-binding proteins (PBPs). This lead to irreversible inhibition of PBP of crosslinking of peptidoglycan and these cause killing of bacteria.
Indication and Dosage
To maintain the effectiveness of an antibacterial drug like Cefdinir 100 mg the Cefdinir should be used only for the treatment or prevention of infections that are proven to be caused by susceptible bacteria. The drug is used for the treatment of patients with mild to moderate infections caused by susceptible strains of the designated microorganisms. The dosages are prescribed by doctors and don’t ever miss your dosage or overdose yourself.
Side-effects of Cefdinir
There are various side effects of the antibacterial medicine and if you encountered any of the mentioned side effects, then contact your doctor as soon as possible. Various side effects are as follows-
- Abdominal pain
- Dark or clay-coloured stools
- Swelling of face, eyelids, tongue, tongue, hands and feet
- Acid or sour stomach
- Excessive air or gas in the stomach
- Redness of skin
- Chest pain
- A sore throat
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
There can be some more adverse reaction, so contact your doctor immediately if you experience any adverse reaction in your body.
The drugs behave indifferently from person to person. It is necessary to consult your doctor before starting this medicine. The drug interacts with the medicines given below-
- Ethinyl Estradiol
- Cholera vaccine
So in case if you are using any of these medicines, do consult your doctor for the advice and then strictly follow the instructions given by the doctor.
- Colitis- the patient with a history of gastrointestinal disease, particularly colitis, due to the increased risk of worsening of the patient’s condition, should use this medicine with extreme caution and under the strict guidance of a doctor.
- Renal diseases- the patient with renal disease should use this medicine with extreme caution, as this disease can severe side effects. So, always talk to your doctor if you are suffering from renal disease and follow the guidelines given by the doctor.
- The use of drugs can interfere in the lab tests also, so if you have to go for any diagnosis, consult your doctor and take medicine according to the instructions.
- This medicine should not be used at the time of pregnancy unless necessary. Consult your doctor about all the risks and benefits before taking the medicines.
- Breastfeeding- this medicine is not recommended if the patient is breastfeeding. But in any case the medicine is taken, close monitoring of the infant is necessary for any adverse reaction.
- This medicine is not used for the population of age less than six months, as safety and effectiveness of Cefdinir are not clinically established.
- This medicine causes dizziness in some patients, so it is advised that you do not perform any activities that includes alertness such as driving a vehicle or operating machinery.
- Irrational dosing might fail in providing the results and can cause toxicity. It may also cause and increase risk of development of bacteria that are drug resistant.
- Keep the medicine away from kids and store in the cool and dry place.
- Consulting the doctor is very necessary before taking medicine.