Tegrital 100 mg (Carbamazepine)
Carbamazepine 100mg Tablet
|Pack Size||Qty||Price Per Pill or Unit||Price||Cart|
|30 Tablet/s||US$ 0.06||US$ 1.66|
|60 Tablet/s||US$ 0.06||US$ 3.30|
|90 Tablet/s||US$ 0.05||US$ 4.95|
Tegrital (Chewable Tablet) 100 mg (Carbamazepine)
Carbamazepine is available as Tegrital 100 mg as the primary medication for the treatment of epileptic seizures and neuropathic pain. A Swiss chemist discovered carbamazepine in 1953 and after that it gained its position as on the most basic medicines that are necessary to maintain a basic health system.
What is Tegrital 100 mg (Carbamazepine) used for?
Tegrital is a prescription drug that is used for the treatment of:
- Certain types of seizures like partial, tonic-clonic and mixed seizures
- Many types of nerve pain like trigeminal and glossopharyngeal neuralgia
It is not a simple painkiller and hence one should never take it as an alternative to relieve regular pains and body aches.
How does Tegrital 100 mg (Carbamazepine) work?
The mode of action of this drug Carbamazepine is very well understood and it is known that Carbamazepine works by stabilizing the inactive state of voltage-gated sodium channels. It slows down the passage of message to the brain in the form of nerve signal, and the cells become less excitable, and thus more muscles become relaxed.
How should Tegrital 100 mg (Carbamazepine) be taken?
The dosage of the drug should be as recommended by the physician. Take the drug exactly as prescribed by the physician. Never change the dose without his recommendation. The drug can be taken with or without food, but it is better if you take it with the meal.
The dosage may vary according to the indication and age of the patient. Hence, your physician will decide the best suitable dose of the drug for you. The tablet form should never be broken ; you should chew and swallow the whole tablet, if needed with water.
An overdose of the drug may result in following symptoms:
- CNS depression
- Breathing troubles
- Fluid retention
- Increased seizures
- Increased agitation etc.
In any such condition always inform your physician immediately and ask for his advice.
Missed dose of Tegrital 100 mg
In the case of missed never take a double dose to make up the missed one, instead leave the missed dose and take the next scheduled correct dose at the correct time.
What are the side effects of Tegrital 100 mg (Carbamazepine)?
Carbamazepine may cause some mild to serious side effects. A few common side effects of the drug Carbamazepine include:
- Fast or pounding heartbeat
- Stomach pain
- Fever and chills
- Unusual bleeding
- Chest pain
- Loss of appetite
- Blurred vision etc
There are several side effects and just like any other drug you may or may not have them. In case you experience any of the above, or any other problematic side effects the consult your physician immediately.
What medications interact with Tegrital 100 mg (Carbamazepine)?
Carbamazepine is known to interact with several drugs to cause negative drug interaction that may interfere with the working of this drug. The common drugs that may interact with Carbamazepine are:
- Valproic acid
- Antidepressant pills
- Few antibiotics
- Anti-malaria drugs
- Narcotic painkillers
- Ache relievers
- Antihistamine medicines
- Erectile dysfunction medicine
- Anxiety medicines
- Birth control pills
- Heart or blood pressure medicines, etc.
The list in not complete there are many other drugs that may interact with Carbamazepine, ask your physician about the drugs and avoid them with Carbamazepine.
The following precautions should be taken while consuming the drug:
- Patients who have allergy to Oxcarbazepine or Carbamazepine should not take this drug
- If you are diabetic then, avoid this drug
- Heart patients and liver patients should not take this drug
- Pregnant women or those who are planning to have a child should not take this drug
- Breastfeeding mothers should not take this drug
- Many patients who take this drug have reported having grown suicidal or self-harming thoughts. If you have any such thoughts then immediately consult your physician
- Never share a medicine with anyone, without physician’s consent, even if you feel the symptoms are same
- Maintain a good diet with the drug
- Keep the drug away from child’s reach and away from light and moisture.