Virovir 250 mg (Famciclovir)
Virovir 250 mg (Famciclovir) is an antiviral medication used to treat recurrent outbreaks of cold sores in adults who have a healthy immune system (the body system that fight against harmful viruses, bacteria, and fungi). It is a prodrug of penciclovir, a nucleoside analog DNA polymerase. Famciclovir is currently approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of herpes simplex virus and varicella zoster infections. Each Virovir tablets contains Famciclovir as an active medicinal substance.
What is Virovir 250 mg (Famciclovir) used for?
Virovir 250 mg is used to treat:
Immunocompetent Adult Patients
- Cold sores, and inflamed blister in the mouth, caused by infection with the herpes simplex virus.
- Herpes genitalis or Genital herpes
- Herpes zoster (shingles).
- HIV-infected Adults
- Genital herpes
- Oralabial herpes (an infection caused by herpes simplex virus). It occurs on the lip.
How does Virovir 250 mg work?
Virovir 250 mg works by stopping the virus from multiplying and shortens the time the virus is released and spread, which helps to heal.
What are the different doses of Virovir?
Virovir is available to order online from premiumrxdrugs.com in 250 mg strength. You can buy Virovir 250 mg online at unbeatable price.
How should Virovir 250 mg be taken?
- Virovir 250 mg comes in the form of tablets. Take the tablet with or without food. Swallow the Virovir tablet with a glass of water.
- Try to take the tablet at the same time each day.
- The treatment regimen is given below:
Dosage for Immunocompetent Adults
Recommended dose for Cold sores (herpes labialis) is 1500 mg
Recommended dose for Herpes genitalis
- To treat recurrent episodes is 1000 mg two times daily, for 1 day
- Suppressive therapy is 250 mg two times daily
Recommended dose for Herpes zoster (shingles) is 500 mg every 8 hours, for 7 days
Dosage for HIV-infected Adults
Oralabial or genital herpes is 500 mg two times daily, for 7 days
- Take the tablet exactly as prescribed by the doctor. Do not alter the dosage plan.
- Overdose: Seek medical attention immediately, in the case of an overdose of Famciclovir.
Missed dose of Virovir 250 mg
If you have forgotten a dose, take it as soon you remember and go back to your usual dosing schedule. If the time to take the next dose is near, leave the forgotten dose and take the next dose. Do not double up the dose to compensate the missed one.
- Take the tablet for as long as your doctor recommended.
What are the side effects of Virovir 250 mg?
Like other medicines, Virovir may cause adverse effects. Seek medical attention, in case the following troubles arise:
Some adverse effects of Virovir 250mg can be serious. Visit the doctor immediately, in the following situations.
- Yellowing eyes and skin
- Shortness of breath
- Weight gain
- Itching or swelling of the face, tongue and throat
- Fluttering in your chest
- Loss of appetite
- Pounding heartbeats
- Trouble breathing
- Change of urine
- Easy bruising/bleeding
What medications interact with Virovir?
The following medicines should be avoided, in case doctor recommends you Virovir (Famciclovir) to avoid possible drug interactions.
- Valganciclovir or Ganciclovir
Tell the doctor before consuming Virovir:
- If you are hypersensitive to the Virovir(Famciclovir), or its components
- If you have liver or kidney problems
- If you are allergic to substances like dyes, food and preservatives
- If you have a weak immune system, HIV, or AIDS
- If you have glucose-galactose malabsorption or galactose intolerance
- If you can not tolerate lactose
- If you are pregnant or intending to become pregnant. You need to discuss the benefits and risks of consuming Virovir tablets during pregnancy. Breastfeeding women are advised not to take Virovir as it may pass into breast milk and harm the nursing baby
- The drug may cause dizziness. Do not drive or use machinery, while consuming Famciclovir as these activities may require a high degree of mental attention
- Do not forget to see the expiry date of the product.
- Keep the drug reach out of children.
- It should not be given to anybody, even if they have the same problems.
- Always keep the written record of your medications.
- Store the drug below 250C.
- Avoid keeping the drug in the bathroom. Also, do not keep it on a window sill or in the car.
- Keep the medicine in its original packaging until it is time to take the medicine.