Azopt Eye Drop
Azopt 1% (5ml) eye drop
|Strength||1% (5 ml) Eye Drop|
|Generic Name||Brinzolamide opthalmic suspension|
|Manufacturer||Alcon Laboratories Inc|
Azopt Eye Drop
Azopt Eye Drop contain Brinzolamide. It is an opthalmic suspension, that follows topical ocular administration. It contains a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor, used to treat glaucoma an eye disorder.
What is Azopt used for?
Azopt 1% eye drop is used to reduce the pressure in the eye caused due to ocular hypertension and open-angle glaucoma, both these eye conditions causes high pressure within the eye known as intraocular pressure that may lead to an eye pain and harm your vision. This medicament helps in reducing pressure by lowering the formation of an aqueous humor secretion and thus relieves from an eye pain due to glaucoma.
How does Azopt work?
Azopt Eye drop is a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor. Carbonic anhydrase is an enzyme found in many tissues of the body, including the eye, this medication involves the reversible reaction and regulates the fluid secretion in the eye. This medication stops the secretion of aqueous humor that decreases the intraocular pressure and thus used to treat open-angle glaucoma, and ocular hypertension.
What does Azopt contain?
Azopt 1% (5 ml) contains Brinzolamide as an active pharmaceutical ingredient, which is a potent carbonic anhydrase inhibitor used to treat glaucoma an eye disorder
Effects of alcohol on Azopt
Azopt 1% (5ml) Eye Drop may cause dizziness. There is no such known side effect has been studied with alcohol. However, it is safe to avoid alcohol consumption during the treatment with 9 PM
What are the side effects of Azopt?
Azopt 1 % (5 ml) Eye Drop may cause serious side effects including:
- Soft Contact Lenses. Avoid wearing soft contact lenses while using this medicine. It may cause you harmful side-effect like an eye infection, irritation, or burning sensation.
- Ocular Surgery. If the patient had an ocular surgery, then using this medicament in this condition may cause you harmful effects. Therefore, consult your doctor prior taking this drug.
- Eye Infection. The drug may cause inflammation of your eye if taken in this condition. Therefore, consult your doctor before using this medicament if the patient is suffering from an eye infection due to flu.
- Diabetes. Using this drug in patients with diabetes may cause serious changes in blood sugar. In this case, consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
Common side effects that may occur while taking Azopt 1% (5 ml) Eye Drop include:
- Blurred vision
- Unusual taste
- Foreign body sensation
- Ocular discharge
- Ocular keratitis
- Ocular pain
- Chest pain
- Dry mouth
- Eye fatigue
- Kidney pain
- Lid margin crusting, or sticky sensation
- Tearing and urticarial
What medications interact with Azopt?
Tell your physician if you are consuming any other drugs, including prescription and non-prescription drugs, any herbal supplements, and vitamins. Especially, tell your physician if you take:
- Oral carbonic anhydrase inhibitor
Keep a list of medicines you take and show it to your physician every time you get a new medicine.
When should Azopt not be used?
Do not take Azopt 1 % (5 ml) if:
- You are pregnant or plan to get pregnant. This medicine may cause fatal effects to an unborn child. If you get pregnant while taking Azopt, tell your doctor right away.
- You are a breastfeeding mother
- You have any kidney problem
- You are allergic to any of the components of Azopt 1% (5 ml) Eye drop
How should Azopt be taken?
- The dose may vary according to the age, weight, and patient condition therefore it is advised to take this medicament as per your doctor’s direction.
- Azopt 1 % is available in the form of an Eye drop taken through an ocular route that is through an eye. Shake well before use, open the lid with your fingertips and slowly instill this medicines drop by drop, it is recommended to gently close the eyes for sometime around 1 to 2 minutes after the administration
- If you have taken more Azopt Eye Drops into your eyes by mistake than your physician has prescribed, contact your doctor straight away. Remember the overdose of any drug can cause severe effects. In any case, of an overdose, you should immediately medical help.
Contact your doctor if you experience any undesirable health changes while taking this medicine.
How long should you take Azopt?
Take Azopt Eye Drop exactly as directed by your doctor. Keep taking the medicine for as long as your doctor prescribes it for you.
Missed dose of Azopt?
If you miss the dose take it as soon as you remember, but if it is too late, then skip the missed dose and take the next dose at the correct scheduled time. Never take double doses at one time.
How should Azopt be stored?
- Away from children and pet
- At a room temperature
- Do not refrigerate
- Away from heat, light and moisture
- Do not use expired drugs
- Keep this drug in a closed tight container