Valtrex Alternative (Valacyclovir 1000mg)
Valcivir 1000 mg
Valcivir 1000 mg is an antiviral medication formulated to treat herpes. It effectively relieves the symptoms associated with genital herpes, shingles, cold sores, and chicken pox. This is Valtrex 500mg alternative controls the rate of escalation of the virus and allows the body’ defense system to fight the infection. Treatment must start as soon as the first symptoms are observed. The active pharmaceutical ingredient contained in the drug is Valacyclovir, which is a prodrug of acyclovir. The herpes virus is contagious, taking Valcivir 1000mg doses will not cure or stop the herpes virus from spreading.
What is Valcivir 1000mg used for?
Valcivir is useful in treating the following health conditions:
- Genital herpes
- Chicken pox
- Herpes labialis
- Herpes zoster
It is also used for the reduction of transmission of genital herpes.
How does Valcivir work?
Valcivir 500mg has the active component known as Valacyclovir is Valtrex alternative, which rapidly converted to acyclovir. This Acyclovir interferes with viral DNA synthesis. The action not only inhibited viral replication, reduced time of healing of lesions, and decreased viral shedding, but also reduced transmission of genital herpes.
What does Valcivir contain?
The medicine is supplied as tablets for oral administration. Each tablet contains 1000 mg of the chief ingredient Valacyclovir, which is the hydrochloride salt of the L-valyl ester of antiviral drug acyclovir.
What are the side effects of Valcivir?
- Central nervous system disorders: agitation, dizziness, confusion, headache, seizures, encephalopathy, weakness, hallucinations.
- Haematological issues: thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura or haemolytic uremic syndrome.
- Genitouterine disorders: crystalluria, renal failure
- Gastrointestinal disorders: anorexia, diarrhea, nausea, constipation, and abdominal pain.
What medications interact with Valcivir?
- Coadminstration of Valcivir with cimetidine and probenecid may increase blood levels.
- If used along with nephrotoxic drugs may cause increased risk of adverse renal effects.
Patients are instructed to inform physician of all medications, herbal products, or vitamins being consumed and consult with your physician before starting any medical treatment.
When should Valcivir not be used?
- Valcivir should not be used in by those patients who have had a demonstrated clinically significantly hypersensitivity reaction.
Use it with caution in the following situations:
- Renal impairment
How should Valcivir be taken?
- For the treatment of Herpes zoster in adults- The recommended dose is 1 g thrice daily for seven days.
- For genital herpes in adults-
- Initial treatment: 1 g two times a day for ten days
- Recurrence: 500 mg two times a day for three days
- Suppression of recurrence in patients with HIV infection: 1 g a day or 500 mg once a day in patients experiencing less than 10 years of recurrences per year
- Reduction of transmission: 500 mg once a day for source partner
- For Herpes labilais: The recommended dose for adults and children are 2 g then 2 g 12 hours later.
- For Chicken pox: For children older than 2 years of age, the suggested dose is 20 mg per kg thrice a day for five days. The maximum dose should not exceed 1 g three times daily.
- You are instructed to take the medicine exactly as directed for the full course of their therapy.
- You are advised to main adequate hydration therapy during the treatment.
- Notify your physician promptly if nervous system symptoms occur.
How long should you take Valcivir?
Every patient is different in every sense. Some patients may notice benefits in a few days of consuming it while others may take time to notice any change in the condition. You should continue to take your medicine for as long as your physician recommends.
How should Valcivir be stored?
- Store the medicine away from heat, moisture, and light
- Keep it out of the reach of children and away from pets
- Do not store the tablets in the bathroom