Beetroot and its healthy goodness has been known for many centuries, dating back to ancient civilizations. It has many nutritional benefits. Beetroot is a direct cure for fatigue and anemia related issues. Doctors recommend including beetroot in your daily meals. Let’s have look at the amazing health benefits of beetroot.
1. Beetroot and Type 2 Diabetes: Diabetes is known to affect all age groups; adults, college and school kids. Beetroot works as miracle medicine for diabetic patients. Beetroot’s fiber content slows down the process of conversion to glucose, thus helping out the type 2 diabetes patients. Packed with vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants, you can have it in the form of a hot soup or delicious health smoothie.
2. For pregnant mothers: Beetroot contains sodium, magnesium, potassium, calcium, dietary nitrate along with vitamin A, vitamin C and iron. So it works like a super multi vitamin for expecting mothers. The abundant folic acid supply in beetroot fulfills the folic acid needs of the developing baby and prevents the baby from a neural tube defect called spina bifida which is caused due to deficiency of folic acid.
3. Helps reduce blood pressure: Nitrates present in beetroot gets converted into nitrites and nitric oxide gas when consumed. This process helps to widen the arteries and lower blood pressure.
4. Good for ‘bad’ cholesterol: Beetroot contains large amounts of soluble fibers, flavonoids and betacyanin. Betacyanin is an antioxidant which helps to reduce the oxidation of LDL cholesterol and does not allow it to deposit on the walls of the artery , which helps in protecting the heart from strokes.
5. Beetroot beats osteoporosis: Mineral silica is a component required by the body to use calcium efficiently. Beetroot is loaded with this mineral silica. One glass of beetroot juice will ensure that you’ll have less chances of suffering from osteoporosis.
6. Beetroot and Anemia: Beetroot’s iron content plays a pivotal role in the formation of haemagglutinin. It is a present in the blood that carries oxygen and nutrients to all parts of the body.
7. Energy enhancer: Nitrates present in beetroot boost the energy level and hence drive away fatigue. This means you increase your workout sessions as beetroot is shown to improve oxygenation during exercise. Energy tolerance is more, and your chance of developing heart diseases is very less.
8. Works wonders for your sexual health and stamina: Boron, a compound known to be important for production of sexual hormones is said to be abundant in beetroot. Boron along with nitrates as mentioned above helps to unblock arteries thus improving your sexual health and stamina.
9. Prevention from cancer: Studies have revealed that Betacyanin, present in beetroot slows down the growth of cancerous tumor by 12.5%.
10. For a healthy stomach: Ditch your over-the-counter constipation pills and have a glass of beetroot juice everyday and forget constipation. Being a rich source of glutamine amino acid, it helps in the proper health and maintenance of the digestive tract.
Boosts brain power and may treat dementia: Having a glass of beetroot juice helps increase stamina. Its 16% nitrate content converts into nitrites when consumed and helps in better transmission of neural impulses, making your brain work efficiently.
Apart from being a delicious vegetable to add to your diet, beetroot is scientifically proven to have multiple benefits. Make a beetroot smoothie, prepare a salad, or have it straight up- there are multiple ways to enjoy this wonder veggie.
In cooked form or as a yummy smoothie, beetroot is just bursting with health benefits. So, share this article with friends and family. Also, use the comment boxes to post any health-related queries and share personal details so that you can receive regular updates.