Tretinoin gel for acne is a retinoid, which is a derivative of vitamin A. The powerful anti-acne agent also shows anti-ageing effects when applied to the skin. Read to know more about the use of tretinoin gel for acne.
What is gel tretinoin?
Gel tretinoin is strong and can cause serious side effects. It begins working on the skin immediately after putting it on. The retinoid formulation has been used for skin conditions for years. It helps reduce the appearance of acne by increasing skin cell turnover. It can rapidly penetrate the skin layers and direct cell behaviour (how fast skin cells should grow, what’s the job of certain cells, and when they should die). Tretinoin .025 gel is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat acne and prevent wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, and worsening skin roughness. It promotes the peeling of affected areas of skin and unclogging of skin pores. Several strengths of tretinoin are available. A dermatologist will work with you to determine which strength will be effective. They can also help you recognize how often to use this topical formulation for anti-acne, anti-wrinkle, and other skin conditions.
What does it do for acne?
Tretinoin was initially recognized as a treatment for acne. It makes pores smaller, decreases the stickiness of your cells, and the production of sebum. A minimal amount of the product is absorbed into the body following tretinoin application. The gel preparation regulates the speed at which your body replaces skin cells, a process known as cell turnover. It causes skin cells to divide and die more rapidly, increasing skin cell turnover. By eliminating dead skin cells and replacing them with new ones, tretinoin gel can improve acne, prevent anti-ageing and reduce wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, and rough areas common with sun-damaged skin.
Benefits of Tretinoin gel for acne
- Exfoliate skin –Tretinoin gel increases skin cell turnover and causes exfoliation of the top layer of your skin chemically.
- Make more even skin tone – All thanks to its speedy exfoliating powers, tretinoin helps quickly fade skin discolouration.
- Calms inflammation – Tretinoin lessens the shedding of dead skin cells into the pore and reduces inflammation.
- Opens up pores – One of the major causes of acne is increased dead skin cells filling up in our pores, causing comedones. The retinoid preparation helps slough off dead skin cells before they can contribute to the formation of comedones and attract that acne-causing bacteria.
- Increases collagen production – Enough skin’s collagen products make skin appear plump, tight, and youthful. Tretinoin stimulates collagen production in your skin after just a few weeks of regular usage.
How to use tretinoin gel step by step
For best results, it is important to use tretinoin gel as directed by your dermatologist. Here is a general guide for using tretinoin gel:
- Before using tretinoin gel, your skin is not sunburned or windburned. Avoid using this medicine in or around the eyes, nose, or lips.
- First, wash your facial skin with a mild soap or cleanser and gently pat it dry (avoid scrubbing your face during the wash).
- Wait for at least 20 to 30 minutes or until the skin dries before using the topical formulation.
- Apply only enough gel to cover the acne-affected area lightly
- Rub in gently. Usually, a pea size amount is enough to cover the face
- After applying the gel preparation, wash your hands to remove any remaining medication.
- Do not wash the treated skin areas of the skin for at least an hour after applying the medicine.
- Your dermatologist recommends applying the topical medication at night so it doesn’t interact with other skin care products.
What are the Precautions to be taken?
- Do not use other skin care products in the same area treated with tretinoin.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure to sunlight or cold weather for six months of using tretinoin.
- Regularly use sunscreen and wear protective clothing and hats to avoid excessive sun exposure.
- If you experience excessive dryness and irritation, start with a small amount to build up your tolerance.
- Let your dermatologist know if you are allergic to other medicines, as they may interfere with the tretinoin formulation.
- Also, inform your dermatologist if you use other vitamins, supplements, or topical formulations.
How long Does Tretinoin gel take to work?
During the initial 1 to 2 weeks of treatment, tretinoin gel can worsen acne, causing red, scaly skin and more pimples. During the initial weeks of treatment, your skin may become irritated as it adjusts to the medicine. The acne begins to improve within 2 to 3 weeks of use, although this may take up to six weeks. If the retinoid formulation has been used to reduce fine lines and skin roughness, it may take 3 to 4 months before results are visible. It is important to be consistent when using tretinoin formulation to achieve the desired results.
How often to use Tretinoin gel?
Tretinoin gel dosing usually depends on the individual and what their dermatologist believes is best for treatment. In general, the topical formulation is dosed for once daily application. It is recommended to use tretinoin once at night to avoid its interaction with other skin care products that you are putting on your skin. A-ret tretinoin gel is usually prescribed once a day, but this may vary depending on your dermatologist.