Red wine is made from dark-colored (black) grape varieties, and researchers have also proved it as an essential health medication, if taken in moderate amounts. History has witnessed that ancient people used wine as an alternative to drinking water. They also used wine because of its digestive and antiseptic properties.
Antioxidants in red wine are resveratrol that is a group of plant compounds called polyphenols, found in the skin of red grapes and other sources like peanuts and berries. Resveratrol has antioxidant properties, protects the body against cancer, heart diseases, and other severe conditions. To choose from a host of red wine types, you need to be very specific. Keeping in mind the taste and flavor you have to choose from different types of red wines. Some of the most common red wines that you may likely to encounter are Cabernet Sauvignon, Bordeaux, Zinfandel, Cabernet Franc, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Chianti, Barolo, Sangiovese, and Côtes du Rhône.
Ingredients in red wine:
There are different types of red wine that contain various healthy chemicals. Various amounts of vitamins, minerals, different alcohol content and calories can be found in a glass or bottle of red wine. Some of the prime ingredients that provide red wine its unique taste are as follows:
- Vitamins and minerals- Studies have shown that a glass of red wine provides an average of your daily nutritional needs including 1% Vitamin K, 2% Niacin, 3% Riboflavin and 1% Thiamin. Moreover, a glass of wine also gives the following percentages of your daily requirement of minerals. These include 1% calcium, 1% zinc, 1% copper, 3% phosphorus, 4% magnesium, 4% iron, 5% potassium and 10% manganese.
- Alcohol content- Alcohol content varies in different types of red wine and without this essential component it would be a drinking juice. In dry red wine, the alcoholic content ranges from 12% to 16% or even higher in some areas. Alcohol content in fortified wines (wines blended with spirits) is closer to 13%.
Also Read: Eat green and be healthy
Health benefits of red wine:
Red wine is one of the best drinks if it is mixed with food as it slows the stomach’s emptying time and decrease the amount of food consumed at a meal. But, the fact is if red wine becomes your need then it will work as a disruptive agent for you as well as your family. That is why it is advised to drink wine as medicine to get the most of it. Some of the health benefits of red wine include:
- Lower your cholesterol- According to a university study, red wine prevents heart diseases by increasing the levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) or the “good cholesterol”. Some participants in the study saw their low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or “bad cholesterol” levels decrease by 9%, and some have experienced a drop of 12%. Red wine is beneficial for heart as excess LDL deposits in arterial walls and forms plaque that causes arteries to stiffen and blood pressure to rise, leading to heart attacks.
- Prevents colon cancer- There is another health benefit of red wine, as moderate amount of consumption reduces the rate of bowel tumors by 50%.
How red wine improves memory?
Red wine do more than pairing well with your favorite pasta dish, it improve your memory also. Various studies have found that the key ingredient resveratrol in red wine helps in boosting the memory of a person. Participants in a research showed a significant increase in retention of words after 30 minutes of having red wine. In the same research it has also been found that red wine has increased the performance in the hippocampus (a small portion of the brain associated with the formation of new memories, learning, and emotions).
Keeping into consideration the results of the studies, the American Heart Association has recommended if someone wants health benefits of red wine, then he/she should drink one to four-ounce glasses of red wine a day.
Red wine’s overall health benefits may be promising, but it is for those who enjoy it in restricted amounts. As the consumption of any alcohol substance can be addictive and can worsen other health conditions.
Also Read: Important nutrients that every man needs
Latest posts by Max Jones (see all)
- 10 Causes Of Erectile Dysfunction You Probably Didn’t Know About! - June 29, 2023
- 5 Ways to Help Prevent Alzheimer’s disease - November 28, 2022
- 10 Amazing Cancer-Fighting Herbs and Spices For Your Diet - August 22, 2022